Monday 24 June 2019

A work in progress

Here is a brief step-by-step guide on how I create my Toca Boca elements. I completed these four elements (Roentgenium, Iron, Chromium, and Arsenic) in the weekend and got them to tip-top condition. My first step is to roll out the coloured balls of clay. A few of the colours required mixing before establishing the true phenotype, whilst others had natural colours established already. The next step was to shape the balls of polymer clay. I completed this task by using my clay modelling tools and my fingers. Repeating many molding steps as I went along. In addition to creating the shapes, I squeezed on the white of the eyes and the pupils delicately, spaced apart from each other at equal distance.

    

I then constructed the facial features of the creatures. A teal nose for Chromium, blush pink cheeks for Iron, mouth for Roentgenium, and an orange nose and teal mouth for Arsenic. After adding in the pre-baked rods for Iron and Roentgenium, I baked all four elements in the oven for 15 minutes under 135C. Tinfoil is always ideal for placement on the pan or else the clay may burn in the corners, or points where they make contact with the oven tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment