Saturday 20 April 2019

Putting materials to use

This morning I began clay sculpting for the first time! It's a very slow process, but I managed to mould the basic shapes of four different Toca Boca elements - sodium, potassium, magnesium and strontium. From there I began to create more basic shapes. I added in basic components, such as their eyes, noses, and even the leaves on their heads. The remaining facial features will most likely draw on by crayon or felt. My first task is to complete modelling the majority of the grey shaded elements, then perhaps move onto to completing the multi-coloured elements on the periodic table. Being a first-time clay sculpturer I also picked up some basic long-term skills, for example, incorporating the use of water to moisten dried clay when exposed to air for particular periods of time, or creating intricate indents for the placement of eye or mouth parts. They all look very simplistic at the moment.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment